Audie Lee Woolley, MD, FACS
Clinical Associate Professor of Surgery
Clinical Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Medical Director, Cochlear Implant Program at Children’s Hospital
Department of Surgery
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery Pediatric Section
Pediatric ENT Associates/Children’s South
1940 Elmer J. Bissell Road
Birmingham, AL 35243
The Children’s Hospital of Alabama,
Birmingham, Alabama (1995 to present).
University Hospital, University of Alabama, Birmingham, Alabama
1995 – Present
University of Texas Health Science Center M.D. 1984-1988
Alpha Omega Alpha
Angelo State University B.S. 1980-1984
Magna Cum Laude
Cisco High School, Cisco, Texas Academic 1976-1980
State of Missouri, 1989
State of Alabama, 1995
American Board of Otolaryngology, 1995
1988-1989 Internship- Washington University
General Surgery -School of Medicine,
St. Louis, Missouri
1989-1994 Residency – Washington University
Otolaryngology -School of Medicine,
Head and Neck Surgery
St. Louis, Missouri
1994-1995 Fellowship -St. Louis Children’s
Pediatric Otolaryngology Hospital,
St. Louis, Missouri
1994 Instructor, Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery
Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri.
1995 Assistant Professor of Surgery and Pediatrics, Department of Surgery, Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama;
Medical Director, Pediatric Cochlear Implant Program.
- Associate Professor of Surgery and Pediatrics, Department of Surgery,
Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Pediatric Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Pediatric Otolaryngology. Medical Director, Pediatric Cochlear Implant Program, Children’s Hospital of Alabama.
- Clinical Associate Professor of Surgery and Pediatrics, Department of
Surgery, Division of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Pediatric Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Pediatric Otolaryngology. Medical Director, Pediatric Cochlear Implant Program, Children’s Hospital of Alabama.
Carr Academic Honors Scholarship
Bachelor of Science, Magna Cum Laude
Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society-President
Holt Leadership Award
First Place Resident Research Forum – Basic Science Category American
Academy of Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery 1990
First Place Resident Research Presentation-Basic Science Ogura Lectureship 1990
First Place Resident Research Presentation-Clinical Science Ogura Lectureship 1991
First Place Resident Research Presentation-Clinical Science Ogura Lectureship 1992
Second Place Poster Competition-American Academy of Otolaryngology/ Head
and Neck Surgery 1992
Magna Cum Laude Citation – Poster Presentation – The American Society of Neuroradiology, 35th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Society in Toronto 1997
Resident Teaching Award UAB Division of Otolaryngology-Head and
Neck Surgery 1997
The American Society of Neuroradiology Magna Cum Laude Citation 1999
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETIES AND MEMBERSHIPS
American Academy of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery (AAO-HNS) 1990
American Medical Association 1995
Society of Ear, Nose, and Throat Advances in Children (SENTAC) 1995
Birmingham Ear, Nose, and Throat Society President 1996-98
Jefferson County Pediatric Society 1995
Medical Association of the State of Alabama 1996
Society of University Otolaryngologists – Head and Neck Surgeons 1998
American College of Surgeons 1998
American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology 1998
Jefferson County Medical Society 1999
The American Bronco-Esophagological Association 1999
Board Member and Co-Founder Alabama School for Hearing 2008
Quality Assurance Committee CACH Insurance 1997-1999
Young Physicians Committee – American Academy Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 1998- 2000.
Surgical Credentials Committee – Children’s Hospital of Birmingham, 1998-2004
Pediatric Otolaryngology Committee – Chair – American Academy Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 1999
Medical Executive Committee – 2009-2011
Clinical Outcomes – 2011- to present
- Clinical Associate Professor of Pediatric Otolaryngology, University of Alabama at Birmingham at the Children’s Hospital of Alabama,
- Medical Director, Pediatric Cochlear Implant Program, Children’s Hospital of Alabama
- Medical Director of the HEAR Center
- Residency Training (surgery and clinical), Pediatric Otolaryngology, Children’s Hospital of Alabama
EDITORIAL BOARD – Reviewer
Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery – 1996 to present.
Laryngoscope – 1998 to present
Archives of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery – 1998-Present
TEACHING EXPERIENCE/ COURSE INSTRUCTOR
- Head and Neck Anatomy for Medical Students, 1992-1994
- University of Alabama School of Medicine Advanced Course in Adult
and Pediatric Endoscopic Sinus Surgery, April, 1996
- University of Alabama School of Medicine Advanced Course in Adult
and Pediatric Endoscopic Sinus Surgery, May, 1997
- Director of Pediatric Otolaryngology Curriculum, Otolaryngology Update 1997-2006 – Advances in Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery.
- Oral Examiner Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery Boards, 2008-2009
- Grand Rounds, Children’s Hospital of Alabama, CI Program, 2009.
- Grand Rounds, University of Michigan Otolaryngology Department 2011
- Guest Instructor University of Michigan Temporal Bone Course 2011
MAJOR RESEARCH INTERESTS
Major basic science research interest: investigation of congenital cytomegaloviral hearing loss, site of lesion analysis and treatment.
Major clinical research projects: congenital hearing loss in children, the role of implantable hearing devices, pediatric sinusitis and treatment modalities used in the therapy of recurrent respiratory papillomatosis.
- Alabama Children’s Hospital Foundation Grant: Mechanisms of CMV-Induced Hearing Loss in a Guinea Pig Model – 1999 (Primary Investigator) – $30,000 over a two year period.
- Child Health Outcomes Initiative: Sensory Screening in the Primary Care Setting. Supported by the Health Services Foundation General Endowment Fund – 1997 (Co-investigator)
- Universal Newborn Hearing Screening: Implementation of National Guidelines. Supported by the Health Services Foundation General Endowment Fund – 1997 (Co-investigator)
- Phase I/IIA Pharmacokinetic and Pharmacodynamic Evaluation of Cidofovir Therapy of Recurrent Laryngeal Papillomatosis in Children, sponsored by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. (Collaborator)
MANUSCRIPTS PUBLISHED IN SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS
- Woolley AL, Hollowell JP, Rich KM. “Fibronectin-Laminin Combination Enhances Peripheral Nerve Regeneration Across Long Gaps.” Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 103: 509-518, 1990.
- Woolley A.L., Hogikyan N.D., Gates G.A., Haughey B.H., Schectman K., Goldberg J.. “The Effect of Blood Transfusions Upon Recurrence of Head and Neck Carcinoma: Retrospective Review and Meta-Analysis.” Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 92: 724-730, 1992.
- Woolley A.L., Lusk R.P.. “Multiple Vascular Lesions of an Infant’s Airway.” Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 111: 305-308, 1994.
- Woolley A.L., Prater D., Muntz H.R.. “Physician Survey on the Care of Children with Tracheotomies.” Amer J Otolaryngol, 17 No. 1: Jan-Feb, 1996.
- Woolley A.L., Clary R.A., Lusk R.P.. “Antral Choanal Polyps in Children.” Amer J Otolaryngol, Vol. 17, No. 1, 50-53, 1996.
- Tseng E., Woolley A.L. “Foreign Body Simulating a Hard Palate Lesion in a Child.” Int J Ped Otorhinolaryngol, Vol. 38 (2); 169-174, 1996.
- Woolley, A.L., “Salivary Gland Disease in Children”, Current Opinion in Otolaryngology Head Neck Surg, Vol. 4, No. 6, 385-391, 1996.
- Woolley A.L., Wimberly L.T., Royal S.. “Retained Wooden Foreign Body in a Child’s Parotid Gland.” Ear, Nose and Throat Journal, Vol. 77, No. 2, Pg. 752-754, February, 1998. Awarded best written paper of 1998 by the editor of Ear, Nose and Throat Journal.
- Woolley, A.L., Jenison, V.A., Stroeer, B.S., Bahadori, R.A., Wippold, F.J., II, Lusk, R.P., “Cochlear Implantation in Children with Inner Ear Malformities”, Annals of Otology, Rhinology, Laryngology, Vol. 107, No. 6, Pg. 492-500, June 1998.
- Woolley A.L., Oser A., Lusk R.P., Bahadori R.A.. “The Preoperative Temporal Bone CT Scan and its Use in Evaluating the Pediatric Cochlear Implant Candidate.” Laryngoscope, 107: 1100-1106, 1997.
- Brodish, B.N., Woolley, A.L. “Major Vascular Injuries in Children Undergoing Myringotomy for Tube Placement”, Am J Otolaryngol. 1999 Jan-Feb;20(1):46-50.
- Woolley, A.L., Kirk, K. A., Neuman, A. M., Jr., McWilliams, S., Murray, J., Wiatrak, B.J. “Meningitis in Children: Analysis of Risk Factors for Hearing Loss – The Children’s Hospital Experience”, Archives of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery, 125 No. 5, 509-514, May 1999
- Woolley AL, Oser A., Lusk RP, Bahadori RA. “The Preoperative Temporal Bone CT Scan and its Use in Evaluating the Pediatric Cochlear Implant Candidate.” Otology and Neurology, 2000/2001 Home Study Course, Section 8 – original publication – Laryngoscope, 107: 1100-1106, 1997.
- Wall, TC, Peralta-Carcelen, M, Fargason, CA, Evans, HH, Dunn, E, Woolley, AW “Support of Universal Newborn Hearing Screening Among Mothers and Health Care Providers” – Ambulatory Child Health 7(3/4): 283-295, 2001.
- Pasquale-Niebles K, Woolley AL, Wiatrak BW, Lewis L, Microdebrider vs. C02 Laser in Treatment of Recurrent Respiratory Papillomas, Laryngoscope 113(1): 139-143; Jan 2003
- Shirley WP, Hill JS, Woolley AL, Wiatrak BJ, Shirley WP – Success and Complications of Four-Duct Ligation for Sialorrhea, Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology 67, 1-6, 2003.
- Lindman JP, Woolley AL, Multiple intraparenchynal parotid calculi: a case report and review of the literature, Ear, Nose, Throat Journal 82(8) Aug, 2003, 615-617.
- Robin, NH, Prucka S, Woolley AL, Smith, RJH, “Genetic testing as a component of the evaluation of the child with hearing impairment”, Current Opinion in Pediatrics, 17: 709-712, 2005.
- Halloran DR, Wall TC, Evan HH, Hardin JM, Woolley, AL “Hearing Screening at Well Child Visits”, Arch PediatrAdolesc Med, 159(10):949-955, Oct. 2005
- Robin NH, Baty H, Franklin j, Guyton FC, Mann J, Woolley AL, Waite PD, Grant J. The multidisciplinary evaluation and management of cleft lip and palate. South Med J. 2006 Oct;99(10):1111-20. Review.
- Acakpo-Satchivi L, Tubbs RS, Woolley AL, Bui CJ, Leichly P, Hammers Y, Wellons J 3rd, Blount, JP, Oakes, WJ. Craniopharyngioma Marsupialization. Case Illustration. J Neurosurg, 2007 Dec;107 (6 Suppl):521
- Kostrzewa JP, MK Bowman, AL Woolley (2009). Middle Ear Hemangioma: a Novel Treatment for a Rare Problem. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology Extra.
- Kirkham E, Sacks C, Baroady F, Siddique J, Nevins M, Woolley A, Suskind D. Health Disparities in Pediatric Cochlear Implantation: An Audiologic Perspective. Accepted to Ear & Hearing 5-2009.
- Baranano CF, Sweitzer RS, Mahalek ML, Alexander NS, Woolley AL. The management of myringotomy tubes in pediatric cochlear implant recipients. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2010 Jun;136(6):557-90.
- Alexander N, Kulbersh B, Heath CH, Desmond R, Caron E, Woolley AL, Wiatrak BJ, Hill JS, Shirley WP, Mathis DB. MRSA Otorrhea Does Not Portend a More Complicated Treatment Course Than Non-MRSA Otorrhea in the Pediatric Population. Archives of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery.2011 Dec;137(12):1223-7.
- Newman JR, Harmon P, Shirley WP, J. Scott Hill, Woolley AU, Wiatrak BJ,. Operative Management of Choanal Atresia: A 15-year Experience. Archives of Otolaryngology. January 2013. Volume 139 No. 1. Pages 71-75
Guest author and editor
Laryngoscope Interactive Case Studies, The Management of Subperiosteal Orbital
Abscess in a Child, October 1998.
- Woolley A.L., Lusk R.P.. “Subglottic Stenosis in Infants and Children.” Pediatric Laryngology & Bronchoesophagology, 1st Ed,
- Wiatrak, B.J., Woolley, A.L., “Adenotonsillar Disease in Children”, Cummings, et al, Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg., 3rd Ed, 1997.
- Woolley, A.L., “Pediatric Tracheotomy: Long Term Management”, Current Therapy in Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, 6th, 1997.
- Woolley, A.L., Lusk, R.P., “Pediatric Cochlear Implantation”, Thieme Publishers, Pediatric Otolaryngology: Principles and Practice Pathways, 1st. Ed., 1998.
- Woolley, AL, Balkany TE, “Complications of Pediatric Cochlear Implantations”,
Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery, 2001.
- Wiatrak BJ, Woolley AL, Shirley WP, “Pharyngitis and Adenotonsillar Disease”, Cummings Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Fifth Edition, Vol. 3, Mosby Elsevier, 2010.
Woolley, A.L., Jenison, V.A., Stroeer, B.S., Bahadori, R.A., Wippold, F.J., II, Lusk, R.P., “Cochlear Implantation in Children with Inner Ear Malformations”. Mosby 1999 Year Book, Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery.
- Woolley A.L.. “Multiple Vascular Lesions of an Infant’s Airway” American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, Washington, D.C., September, 1992.
- Woolley A.L., Clary R.A., Lusk R.P.. “Antral Choanal Polyps in Children” American Society of Pediatric , Durango, Colorado, May, 1995.
- Gupta, S., Woolley, A.L., Wiatrak, B. “Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma of the Trachea. American Society of Pediatric Otolaryngology, Orlando, Florida, May, 1996.
- Brodish, B., Woolley A.L., “Major Vascular Injuries in Children Undergoing Myringotomy for Tube Placement”, American Academy of Otolaryngology Head Neck Surg., Washington, D.C., October, 1996.
- Torgerson, C.L., Woolley, A.L., Frye, T.A., Young, D.W., “Temporal Bone Imaging in the Assessment of Candidates for Cochlear Implantation”, The Society for Pediatric Radiology, St. Louis, Missouri, May, 1997.
- Torgerson, C.L., Woolley, A.L., Frye, T.A., Young, D.W., “Temporal Bone Imaging in the Assessment of Candidates for Cochlear Implantation”, American Society of Neuro-radiology/American Society of Head & Neck Radiology, Toronto, Ontario, CANADA, May, 1997.
- Grabb, B.C., Fyre, T.A., Galliani, C.A., Woolley, A.L., Torgerson, C.L., II, Royal, S.A., “Pediatric Nasal Masses: Differential Diagnosis”. Southern Pediatric Radiology Society – Vancouver, Canada – May 14-17, 1999.
- Kulbersh B., Woolley A.L., “Application of Novel MRI Techniques to Screen for Eighth Nerve Aplasia/Hypoplasia in Cochlear Implant Candidates: Developing An Institutional Protocol”